- Patricia A. Wise Partner
V-card: Patricia A. Wise
E-mail: Patricia A. Wise
Patricia A. Wise is certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in labor and employment law. Patty has received Martindale-Hubbell’s AV-Preeminent rating for her legal ability and high ethical standards. She represents clients of all sizes in a variety of businesses, industries, and professions and has trained thousands on all topics of employment and labor law.
Patty is a former senior vice president and in-house counsel for a billion dollar bank holding company and continues to serve many financial institution clients. She is a frequent speaker for state banking associations and serves on the faculty of the Graduate School of Banking at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
In addition to her legal practice, Patty has been a Visiting Professor or Adjunct Professor at The University of Toledo College of Law since 1999, teaching employment law as well as civil and political rights. Patty trains and speaks extensively on employment law issues. She recently completed the third edition of her book Understanding and Preventing Workplace Retaliation, published by the Thompson Publishing Group, Inc., and her book Harassment in the Workplace: Sexual, Racial and Religious Complaints, published by the Thompson Publishing Group, Inc. in 2012.
In 2014, Patty was appointed by the Supreme Court of Ohio to serve as a member of the Board of Professional Conduct. Patty served as Co-chair of the SHRM Labor Relations Special Expertise Panel in 2015. In 2015, Patty was also appointed by Jenny R. Yang, Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, to serve on the EEOC’s Select Task Force on Workplace Harassment.
- “Viewpoint: The ABCs of the NLRA for Nonunion Employees” (co-authored with Christine V. Walters), 2016
- Understanding and Preventing Workplace Retaliation, Thompson Publishing Group, 2000, 2007 (2nd Edition), 2012 (3rd Edition)
- Harassment in the Workplace: Sexual, Racial and Religious Complaints, Thompson Publishing Group, 2012
- “The NLR What?” Ohio Record, Winter 2012
- “Tweet, Tweet, You’re Fired,” ABA Employment and Labor Relations Law, Section of Litigation, Vol. 7 No. 4, Summer 2009
- “Coming Soon to a Court Near You: Changes in Employment Law,” Ohio Record, Spring 2008
- “Uneven Odds for Employers Attempting to Get Even – The Status of Retaliation Claims After Burlington Northern,” Inter Alia, Federal Bar Association, N.D.O.C., Fall 2007
- “Employers Pay for Retaliation,” Ohio Record, Summer 2004
- “Fair Labor Standards Act Revisions,” Ohio Record, Summer 2004
- “Disabilities Act Compliance Needn’t Disable Your Bank,” ABA Banking Journal, July 1997
- “Guidelines on How to Discipline and Discharge Employees Safely and Effectively,” Ohio Banking News, August 1997
- “Bridging the Gap from Affirmative Action to Cultural Diversity: The Legal Societal, and Cultural Issues,” 1993
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Co-chair SHRM Special Expertise Labor Relations Panel
- Inaugural Award, Public Service Commitment, University of Toledo College of Law Alumni, 2007
- Women of Toledo, St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center Auxiliary, 2004
- Outstanding Achievement in Trusteeship, Ohio Association of Community Colleges Excellence Awards, 2003
- Milestones: A Tribute to Women, Award for Achievements in Business, 2000
- Outstanding Community Service Award, Ohio State Bar Association, District 4, 1999
- Alumni Community Service Award, BGSU Alumni Association, 1996
- Inaugural Award, “Twenty Under 40” Community Leadership Award, Toledo Jaycees, 1996
- Ohio State Bar Association, Fellow, Class of 1999
- AV rated: Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating awarded for legal ability, ethics, and professionalism